Professor of Imaging Neuroscience
- Principal Investigator, Department of Oncology
- Supernumerary Fellow, University College
Our research goals are to identify the role of the inflammatory and metabolic microenvironment in brain metastasis, and to develop imaging biomarkers for tumour detection and monitoring.
Following completion of her PhD at the University of Cambridge in 1995, Nicola spent 4 years at Yale University as a postdoctoral associate, before joining the MRC Biochemical and Clinical Magnetic Resonance Unit in Oxford. She moved to the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics in Oxford as a University Research Lecturer in 2004 and established her own Experimental Neuroimaging research group. Nicola joined the Department of Oncology in 2007, as a member of the Oxford Institute for Radiation Oncology, and was made a Supernumerary Fellow of University College Oxford in 2015.
Sandra Campbell, Project Manager, DPFS
Vanessa Johanssen, Research Assistant
Emily Steffke, DPhil student
Howard AFD. et al, (2023), Nat Commun, 14
Cheng VWT. et al, (2022), Clin Cancer Res
Msayib Y. et al, (2022), Magn Reson Med
Multimodal evaluation of hypoxia in brain metastases of lung
cancer and interest of hypoxia image-guided radiotherapy
SIBSON N. et al, (2021), Scientific Reports
Corroyer-Dulmont A. et al, (2021), Front Oncol, 11
Prof. Eleanor Stride, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford
Prof. Daniel Anthony, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford
Prof. Stuart Conway, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford
Prof. Stephen Faulkner, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford
Dr Rasheed Zakaria, The Walton Centre, Liverpool, UK
Mr Michael Jenkinson, The Walton Centre, Liverpool, UK
ALUMNI & NEXT DESTINATIONS
- Vivienne Austin (1998-2002) - Graduate Medical School, University of Oxford.
- Kerry Broom (1999-2004) - Public Health England, Didcot, UK.
- Fazli Awan (2000-2005) - Senior Scientist, Natl. Inst. for Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Alex Dickens (2008-2012) - Postdoctoral Research Fellow (i) University of Turku, Finland; (ii) Johns Hopkins, USA.
- Yvonne Couch (2008-2010) - Carlsberg Research Fellow, University of Southern Denmark & University of Oxford, UK.
- Matthew Evans (2008-2012) - Graduate Medical School, University of Oxford, UK.
- Alastair Hamilton (2009-2013) - Consultant, Gartner Inc., Technology Research, UK.
- Emma O’Brien (2010-2014) - Alzheimer’s Research UK, Cambridge, UK.
- John Connell (2010-2014) - Research Associate, UK Regenerative Medicine Platform, UCL, London, UK.
- Stavros Melemenidis (2010-2015) - Postdoctoral Scientist, Stanford University, USA.
- Jack Miller (2011-2015) - Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford & Somerville College, Oxford, UK.
- Kleopatra Andreou (2013-2017) - Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford, UK.
- Kevin Ray (2014-2018) - Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford, UK.
- Christina Simoglou Karali (2014-2019) - Postdoctoral Fellow, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford.
- Manon Simard (2015-2020) - Postdoctoral researcher, Translational Oncology, Merck, Darmstadt, Germany
- Vinton Cheng (2015-2018) - NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer, University of Leeds.
- Jessica Buck (2015-2019) - Postdoctoral Associate, Telethon Kids Institute, University of Western Australia.
- Niloufar Zarghami (2015-2020) - Oncology Medical Manager, Astellas Pharma Canada, Toronto, Canada.
- Sebastien Serres (2005-2015) – Associate Professor, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Alexandr Khrapitchev (2005-2019) – Scientist, Perspectum Diagnostics Ltd.
- Francisco Perez-Balderas (2008-2017) – Senior Scientist Process Development, Curevac AG, Tübingen, Germany.
- James Larkin (2011-2021) – CEO, Oxomics Ltd.
- Chris Martin (2008-2012) – Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK.
- Manuel Sarmiento-Soto (2010-2019) – Postdoctoral Fellow, Imperial College London, UK & Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Seville, Spain.
- Claire Howarth (2012-2013) – Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK.
- Luca Bau (2013-2016) – Postdoctoral Researcher, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford, UK.
- Vasiliki Economopoulos (2014-2021) – Adjunct Research Professor, Western University, Canada.
- Sarah Peeters (2015-2019) – Study Director Toxicology, Charles River Laboratories Den Bosch, The Netherlands.
- Maria Pannell (2016-2019) – Scientist, OxSonics Ltd.
- Mario Munoz Pinto (2017-2019) – Postdoctoral Associate, University of Coimbra, Portugal.